There should probably be rules about posting my thoughts on a Friday night when I am tired from a long week, having hit the happy hour favs at Ray J’s, but here I go.
Secondary traumatic stress is the emotional duress that results when an individual hears about the firsthand trauma experiences of another.
I have seen and heard so much trauma this week – there are individuals experiencing REAL trauma. Hard stuff. Painful. And then there are the people that support those facing the trauma. The family members, caregivers, teachers, therapists, social workers, behavior specialists, and school administrators…that feel the pain – that empathize and create solutions. These folks need our tender loving care. They are strong and in-control…making decisions and care plans and picking up the pieces of a scary sad life. So…love the people in your life and save a little extra space for those that are in care-giving spaces.
And then…how about that Kelly Clarkson song on American Idol? What???? Be still my heart. Check it out here:
Pretty much started my morning in tears, watching this raw emotion, as she sang on the venue that gave her such a bright future, reflecting on the love a parent has for a child – and the staying power that she has for her babes in contrast to the loss that her father experienced, leaving her as a young girl. Wow. Brave. Vulnerable. Love it.
And about my niece. Hmmm. I have some pretty awesome nieces and nephews. All of them. Love them so much. Sweet Faithy has tossed her life experience into the worldwide web, sharing her courageous journey and real teenage vulnerability via this sweet blog:
And finally. Politics. This is NOT something I often choose to discuss. Not even in safe places. But really? Trump? I LOVE America. And these candidates are the best we have? It all makes me just a little sad. A little like I want to pack up my bags and move to another country. Who in their right mind says things like this?
- “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems…they’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”
- “I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me —and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”
- “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s, like, incredible.”
- “I love the old days, you know? You know what I hate? There’s a guy totally disruptive, throwing punches, we’re not allowed punch back anymore. … I’d like to punch him in the face, I’ll tell ya.”
- “We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated.”
We cannot be serious to consider this man as a leader of our nation? Can we? Just looking for a little LEADERSHIP – wisdom, discernment, respect, class. Can I get an Amen?
Signing off. Feeling a little bit better getting that off my mind. Happy Friday my friends! xoxo