Today was one of those rainy fall days…cool, dampish, leaves falling off the trees kind of days. The gray mood made me wanna crawl under a comfy blanket, read, drink a chai tea latte and wait for chocolate chip pumpkin bread to bake in the oven. But duty called and I was at work…then home for a quick chipotle burrito bowl…and then off to meet my senior girlies to discuss life.
But the grayness and the dreariness today made me reflect on those moods that seem to sneak in when we least expect them. In fact, I chatted with a sweet chica today that was feeling a little down in the dumps. And I can tell you that I have faced many of those crabby, “life is hard “attitudes in my day….and still find myself confronting them occasionally. Even when I try so hard to live with a positive attitude. They are determined to sneak in. When they hit, I am tempted to hibernate…to sleep it off until it goes away…to pull away from people.
But this is what I think we need to do about them…we need to acknowledge the truth. Is there anything that can be done about situations that may be impacting the way I feel? If so, I will try to take charge and improve the situation. If not, then I need to look beyond my own little bubble of a world and see the bigger picture. As I went about my day, I saw many examples of people that have it FAR WORSE than my sad little situation…and of the people that I saw, there are others out there that have it EVEN FURTHER WORSE…
Heck, just read the paper or watch the nightly news…tough stuff is happening out there!
I recently heard a sermon that challenged us to pray about our own spirit….our love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control…rather than the situations. What a concept! Maybe if I took care of my kindness or my gentleness..and allowed God to work in me…then those external situations will not affect me so greatly.
Hmmm. Working on a little joy for these rainy days. 🙂
But a little Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread can’t hurt….
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3-9×5 loaf pans OR 2 loaf pans and 1 24 cup mini muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill in greased pans 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake loaf pans for 60 minutes and mini muffin pan for approximately 12-15 minutes.
Yummm. Nice little treat on a rainy day.