During a discussion of Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist at bookclub this week, we pondered the chapter “things i don’t do” with an attitude of freedom and curiosity. She quoted a friend of hers, stating “…it’s not hard to decide what you want your life to be about. What’s hard, she said, is figuring out what you’re willing to give up in order to do the things you really care about.”
Hmmm? That is so true! I fill my days and years with resolutions and goals and filled agendas, but what am I NOT doing…intentionally NOT doing?
- i do not manage our finances…i totally trust my sweet husband…we have conversations about money…we make big decisions together…but he does the monthly bill paying and the day to day account management
- i do not make jello salads or baked beans…my family loves them and they can eat those treats at nana’s house
- i do not have a pet (well we have a fish) but that does not really count
- i do not get fancy haircuts…i am very content to grab a coupon and head to the nearest place for $9.99
- however i do not do my own pedicures…i pay to have that done…it is just too awkward to sit and bend and reach my toes with any precision
- i do not retain trivial info regarding sports statistics (do not get me wrong, i love going to sporting events, but i cannot recall scores or players or league mvps) i figure i can always ask my hubby or i can google it if i need to know!
- i also do not recall titles of songs or the artists singing them…again, a skill my husband has as we drive along listening to the greatest hits of the 80’s
- i do not go out to eat for three meals on vacation…i pack snacks…or hit a grocery store…or combine breakfast and lunch into one. it is cost effective and it just makes sense for me and my fam
- i do not drink beer or diet soda…i just do not like the taste of either…and when everyone else at the ballgame may have a cold beer, i am truly content with a coke
- i do not fill my weekends with back to back fun…i try to save at least one day…or at least several hours to just “be”
She ends the chapter saying, “…I remind myself about the important things: that time is finite, as is energy. And that one day I’ll stand before God and account for what I did with my life.”
So…what are the things that YOU will NOT do? 🙂